Contractor Repairing A Terrace Door Wing

If you are in the process of getting new windows or doors for your home, but you are new to the lingo, here are a few of the most common terms explained:

  • Jambs – the vertical sides that make up the window frame or the frame of a door;
  • Sash – the moveable part of the window that consists of the frame that holds the glass in place;
  • Clad window – a window that has a wooden frame parts of which are covered in vinyl or aluminum for more resistance and durability;
  • Casing – the decorative frame used for concealing the space between the wall and the window frame or the jamb;
  • Weather-stripping – stripes of strong material used for covering the joints of the frame of the window or of the door to prevent water and air leaks;
  • Hinge – a device installed on the stationary part of a door frame that allows the door to turn or to pivot;
  • Low-e glass – special glass that minimizes the transfer of radiant heat through the glass;
  • R-value – a measurement used for expressing the thermal resistance of the material that the window or the door is made from (the higher, the better);
  • U-value – the measurement of the heat flow rate through a material (the lower, the better). It is good to know the terms window replacement Denver contractors use when you have them out to do window installation of any sort.
Free Estimate Button
X image for close button
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
// JavaScript